Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Been a member for years......just not very good with one and now since I injured my shoulder it's pretty much out of the question.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'm a member too, I love throwing rocks. For me, the sling is the best projectile weapon, in the hands of an expert it's a small and big game weapon, the ammo is everywhere (almost all over the globe) and it fits into the smallest of pockets; it can be made from almost any materials to hand, or made into a precision tool, delicate and gentle. I am taking my time perfecting this beautiful, ancient weapon, meanwhile, I will use this other of excellent, stone throwing weapons, the catapult.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I've braided me a few slings also and they came out pretty nice except for the part you add to make them hit what you aim at, Ha!. I got to where I could make the things go north if I wanted them to, but I finally decided it was a lifetime of practice to hit stuff with, so I gave them up. One of the guys I "slung" with put a rock completely through the side of his shed and was shocked by the power they had. I still have some of my slings in a drawer though.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
I have made and used so many slings I've lost count. I still love them. I always take one when I go out and about. They are fun, but my slingshots are better for accuracy. I've never been good enough to hunt with a sling and stone, but I believe I could scare the bejeepers out of most things with one. I once did a demonstration with one for a church where they put up a 4'x 8' sheet of 1/2" masonite board for me. It was to represent the giant Goliath. I used only golf balls that day and I busted them almost all the way through the board each time. A good rock or large lead fishing weight would have torn through it like it was tissue paper. Slings are impressive, but Slingers that can hit the heads of Giants, bears and lions are few in number!!!

I am also somewhat famous (maybe infamous) for doing another demonstration with a sling years ago for a boys scouting group where I gave a great talk about the history etc; and then I showed how to throw a few times using what I call the "figure 8 method" (it's the best method in my opinion, more controllable and accurate) but they wouldn't stop harassing me until did it, in their words, "the right way like David did it," helicopter style over my head (of which I was never very good). Well I wound up and threw toward the target, but the golf ball went exactly at a right angle 5' off of the ground, through the crowd of boys and leaders, and centered the door of a pickup truck about 30 yards away. It left not only a dent, but every dimple showed in the metal. I still thank God that no one was hurt that day!!! Fortunately, the truck belonged to a very calm demeanored friend who proudly showed it off to anyone he could along with the story for years. I was sick at my stomach because I realized I could have killed someone that day. Needless to say my public "sling and stone" exhibitions ended that day!!!!!
Friends, when I mess up, I mess up big time and it's usually in public!!!

As you might guess I mostly stick to my slingshots now!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts