Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Last Updated Sep 19 2013 10:25 AM

Adjustable Sights and Picatinny Rail for Montie Gear...

Check out this bolt-on modification for your Montie Gear Y-Shot slingshot. This adapter includes a picatinny rail to mount your favorite optic such as a red dot sight or other parallax free scope. These adapters can be used on either side of the slingshot for right or left handed shooters. You can also use two per slingshot, one on each side, to mount other items on the picatinny rail such as a flashlight or a stabilizing weight.

Comments are suggestions are welcome!

For more information visit www.montiegear.com

or email

[email protected]

Dog Carnivore Liver Art Snout

Susi

Jun 24 2014 06:18 PM

I think you executed the sight mount supurbly but I can't really see any benefit of mounting such as sight on an SS. The reason is, it only points the frame at the target yet the anchor point and pinch are also extremely important factors which a sight or a laser can't correct for. An SS isn't a rifle where a barrel is lined up on a target, an SS has no barrel to line up, hence I see little benefit on putting a laser or optical sight on an SS.

On a bow, yes. Because a bow sight incorporates a sight on the sight window of the bow above the arrow rest AND a peep sight embedded in the string, effective as a rifle sight set up. An SS however doesn't have that rear sight reference as a bow does with a string peep sight embedded in the string.

I do use a rudimentary SS "sight" made of a cable tie attached to the fork tip. The height of the tie (cut off) is spot on at 10 meters, like a pumpkin on a post sight picture. Since an SS has no barrel there is no rear sight reference, only the "front" sight and looking down the band to line the band up with the target for windage zero. Sort of like the front barrel bead on a shotgun with no rear bead or sight. On that you look down the barrel and put the bead where it belongs on the target. A consistent anchor point, consistent release, consistent pouch pinch and not canted nor a (Charles' video on speed bump) "speed bump" hold, and a consistent pouch pinch or hold are all factors a sight simply can't correct for.

Dog Carnivore Liver Art Snout

Susi

Jun 24 2014 06:31 PM

I personally think sling shots can't be super high tech. It depends on the shoother's ability, not so much the equipment. Champion SS shooters usually have plain simple SSs and they simply shoot well. Over engineering seems to be the only "next step" in SSery. My best shooter is made of rebar and as ugly and primative as they come (see Butt Ugly Monster in my gallery). I'm ashamed of it but it shoots the best of anything we've made so far. If we ever go to a meet I'm sure we'd be laughed at until of course the score is counted.

Triangle Rectangle Font Technology Grass

Montie Gear

Jun 25 2014 12:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

As you pointed out, there are a bunch of different ways to put the shot exactly where you want it. We've had pretty good feedback from the sight users who were able to integrate our sight into their shooting style.

Do you use a fixed point on your slingshot to sight off of or do you shoot instinctively.

Montie

Head Human body Jaw Musical instrument Hat

crankbait

Dec 07 2014 11:51 PM

May be good for still targets, but what about running, flying and jumping targets?

Triangle Rectangle Font Technology Grass

Montie Gear

Dec 08 2014 04:45 AM

Might have to up the game for a moving target, accomodating for wind, etc:

Talon Precision Optics - Next Generation Precision Optics

However the Tracking Point sighting system gets very bulky on a slingshot.

On a more serious note, we're about to release a single point sight for the Y-Shot.

Hairstyle Eyebrow Eye Neck Jaw

[email protected]

Jun 01 2017 09:17 PM

What sights do you recommend for my Barnett Black Widow? Would the option you recommended above for moving targets fit onto this? Here's a picture of it if you are not familiar with it.

Rectangle Font Symbol Logo Circle

Hand Fluid Yellow Finger Water

The Apprentice

Jun 04 2020 04:23 AM

I personally think sling shots can't be super high tech. It depends on the shoother's ability, not so much the equipment. Champion SS shooters usually have plain simple SSs and they simply shoot well. Over engineering seems to be the only "next step" in SSery. My best shooter is made of rebar and as ugly and primative as they come (see Butt Ugly Monster in my gallery). I'm ashamed of it but it shoots the best of anything we've made so far. If we ever go to a meet I'm sure we'd be laughed at until of course the score is counted.
Hi Susi

The only real advantage a dot sight has on a catapult is when light conditions begin to mask the taget subject, IE, at dawn and dusk where they tend to blend into the undergrowth, here the dot sight can have its uses, if the target moves slightly you can quickly hone into its position.

As a former military marksman and medic I will tell all how to get the best view during such situations, it goes like this, as the light decreases the lighsensetive cells of the eye begin to degrade in their ability to focus directly and or frontally upon the target itself.

The retina contains two types of photoreceptors, rods and cones. The rods are more numerous, some 120 million, and are more sensitive than the cones. However, they are not sensitive to color, but better for viewing in lower light.

The 6 to 7 million cones provide the eye's color sensitivity and they are much more concentrated in the central yellow spot known as the macula. In the center of that region and work better in brighter light.

As the light gets exponentially darker it is best to use the sides of the eye to look at your target, Ie, turn the head slightly sideways and look through the sides of the eye instead of the central iris area, this way you will get a better picture of the target in low light situations.

Here-in a dot sight comes into its own and gives valuable minutes as night time approaches, same method for looking in almost arkness with the naked eye, also keep the mouth open so the pressure balance is equal to atmospheric pressures.

You also say that a catapult is not a rifle, until now,

hope that helps.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.