Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have been unwell with the flu the past few days putting a hold on my build along
. Whilst resting obviously I have been browsing the forum a lot more than normal looking at what forks catch my eye and what I would like to attempt next. Well all I have been staring in awe at is Setarip's Yew natural. The fork http://slingshotforum.com/topic/20272-secret-santa-2012-yew-natural-pic-heavy/ is one of the most stunning I have ever seen and I truly believe that is a one off never to be found again. Yew is common in the UK yet sometimes difficult to harvest due to its location and the only (reasonably safe) harvest I can make is in the church yard (unnamed sorry guys)

The tree I took this fork from is just out of the camera shot and is ancient I know the church is 682 years old being built originally in 1330 and the Yew I took this fork from was planted like many others in the grounds of the church for bow making and due to Yews' high toxicity many livestock would die from eating the trees greenery hence the church being the only fenced off area in many villages. The Yew I took from is at least 500 years old and is amazing next time I pass I will get a decent photo for the forum. I will leave the church unnamed because I did not get permission to cut this fork
although I consider slingshot making the not so distant relative to bow making and therefore not a complete act of vandalism. Anyway here is the fork;

One limb was a lot larger than the other so I have cut down one side exposing the exquisite heartwood and mini burls.

Sanded to 150 grit and soaking for 3 hours in Boiled Linseed oil.

Removed from the BLO and rubbed with light brown seal wax to keep a dull shine.

I will continue to sand through the grits up to about 800 and then apply a final seal of wax as finished and then rub buff to a dull shine.

BC

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I get it to 800 grit along with my Micarta pfs I am going to take them outside in the day and photo them properly it makes me laugh how much detail is missing from them pics opposed to what I am seeing with my own eyes.

·
Panda... with a slingshot?!?
825 Posts
Looks very nice, but did you get permission to get wood from that yew tree? Yew is a protected tree in the UK.

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No no permission as I put up top , the tree has plenty pruning scars from bad "tree maintenance" ill put up pic of what these butchers have done to the front side of this ancient giant and that'd purely for cosmetic purpose , I justify my taking "without permission" in the fact that I use this wood with purpose not just to damage or harm the tree more to the intention of why it was planted many hundreds of years ago "for making bows" than why the law was put in place for people hacking down ancient giants for driveways and ponds

·
Big lead launcher
263 Posts
That is absolutely stunning. There are a large number of yew near me, I can feel an early morning stroll coming along.

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is absolutely stunning. There are a large number of yew near me, I can feel an early morning stroll coming along.
wear a painting dust mask even to cut it from the main tree Yew is very toxic... I think its 50g ingested = death that may sound a lot but a whole load of dust gets kicked about while pruning.

·
Wow! Yew make a nice bow.
280 Posts
Looks very nice! Gotta love yew. I hadn't thought about it being toxic though untill after I made mine so a mask for sure next time. Over here in the States yew is practically a weed! Almost every house built more than 30 years ago has yew growing, and this stuff is not protected! I never knew how beautiful the wood was untill I came to this forum.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I love the picture of this old church so much, it really tells a story and you can feel history. Also a great find of a lovely Yew fork. I don't want to know what they would have done to you when you were caught harvesting Yew wood in the dark age
Cheers, Simon

·
Big lead launcher
263 Posts
Don't worry Luxor, due to a mispent period in my twenties I now have a huge tolerance of most toxic substances. On a serious note though, thanks for the heads up. I'll take precautions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts