Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is to just have fun and enjoyment. Was a Rifle, Pistol competitor for 30 years. Don't have any desire to compete anymore more. Have some friendly matches with some friends. Low score buys breakfast for everyone. But that's it. Usually have a barbecue and few beers in the afternoon. Great fun. No real pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Neophyte
2,126 Posts
Sling time is de-stress and have fun time for me. I like to challenge myself but I also like to shred cans :)

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
Like you I competed my but off, had to perform well to keep sponsors BUT not anymore!!!!
If I can rip back a slingshot and bust a squirrel or rabbit I'm good. I shoot for relaxation now.
Now if friends ask if I'm a good shot, I tell them "I don't have to be a good shot anymore ".
It's very relaxing.

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For me it's a way to focus, get set for the day (or relax from it), and just enjoy myself. Cheaper than a lot of things I used to do with my time. Plus, I just can't get enough "hitting the mark". especially since I don't do it that often..
Thinking about making and selling 12 inch spinner targets. Than everyone could hit the targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
826 Posts
Great for just killing time, I live in a woods, shoot walnuts off trees, shoot at knotholes, break off dead limbs, chase frogs at waterhole, shoot squirrels at 50 yards so I don’t hurt them, , great relaxer,keep critters out the garden hard to beat, at any price

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I've shot magnum revolvers, .223 caliber Swiss assault rifles at 300 yards, airguns, and have taken part in archery competitions using a fantastic US-made Hoyt recurve bow. Then I got involved in making and shooting slingshots about 6 years ago, which I really like because of their relative simplicity, the absence of tedious legal restrictions, but above all the fact that they are extremely challenging to shoot when high accuracy is called for. Practice, practice, and practice, but it does pay off in the end as I am now seeing myself.

Unlike other types of shooting, taking a slingshot out to the backyard for target practice is generally not going to result in someone calling the cops if they happen to see you. At least in most of Europe, slingshots are merely regarded as "dangerous objects" that can be confiscated under certain conditions i.e. it's foolish to walk around town with one of them in your pocket without a good reason, but nobody is really going to care if you set up a target somewhere in the great outdoors (public land), providing that safety rules are respected. Hunting is mostly prohibited, with the UK being an exception here.

Least but certainly not last, slingshots are cheap to make, to buy (yes, not necessarily if it's a rare piece), and steel ammo is cheap & reusable with the right backstop. Compare that to even just 100 rounds of .22 ammo and range time costs, plus gasoline just getting there. Shooting airguns is cheap, but in the public mind they are "dangerous", and thus cannot be used within city limits in numerous US jurisdictions (using airguns in the backyard is legal in most of Europe, providing that it is done safely).

As with most types of shooting, I find that target practice with a slingshot takes my mind off the daily grind, and gives me significant satisfaction when the physical aspects of proper stance and shooting technique, as well as a focused mindset (key issue) yield tight groups on a target: I am seeking to attend more slingshot shooting tournaments after the eyeopening experience of the slingshot world cup tournament in Italy last year: that was a real learning experience, it was absolutely amazing to see the different kinds of slingshot designs and shooting techniques - this was so motivating.

I would like to see an international slingshot federation someday, and hope that the younger generations will take an interest in our creative, challenging, and hugely fun sport.

Happy shooting, everyone.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think it's great that pretty much everyone have cited stress reliefe and relaxtion as a key reason to shoot a catty. Personally i think that's superb.

My reason is also, stress relief and time out. I am new to catty shooting and at the moment am shooting only in the garden, though i do wonder if i will brave a catty comp at some point. Certainly i'd like to have the ability to do so and not be a laughing stock. But i'd be equally happy hitting what i aim at consistantly and enjoying the sport on my own. I would however believe that if you can shoot with someone better than you then your own skills will grow.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Similar to you, lbojoe and Pebble Shooter, I am also a lifelong 'shooter' and hunter, (not much of a builder or collector though). I started out with slingshots early in life, but then moved on to guns of many types. I have found returning to the slingshot to be just as challenging - (if not more!), and satisfying as guns, but with much less stress, expense and legal entanglements to deal with.

My 'current' goals are:

1. Be able to consistently hit a 1&1/2" target, 7 or 8 times out of 10 at 33 feet (with my 'hunting rig').
  2. Working on similar accuracy out to 20 to 25 yards, also with hunting in mind.

Since about 2010, I have spent a lot of my spare time reading, watching, trying different shooting styles, types of bands and tubes, all in the pursuit of maximum accuracy with sufficient hunting power. I have had great fun, satisfaction and improvement in that pursuit.

As with any 'perishable skill', the challenge is always there, which keeps it fun and interesting for me! :)

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
FUN....I don't really want to take it all too seriously. I don't care if I am shooting 200 or 225 FPS. I am happy if I hit what I am shooting it more times than I miss it. Honestly, I have enjoyed the FORUM as much as I enjoy shooting. I used to hunt a lot but, I no longer enjoy killing animals......I buy my meat at my local supermarket. Slingshots are a wonderful hobby for an old Grandpa like me. And, the Grandkids like it too.

Pete

1 - 20 of 33 Posts