Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a post by HungaJungaESQ in slingshot shooting forum where he's hung up little rubber toys like lizards n dinos n such because he destroys cans to quickly. Our very own Merlin the wize, aka Charles, and I mean that with utmost respect, responded with the idea of cutting out shapes of thick leather. Both fabulous ideas.
I believe that a really good practice target should have what these guys describe as a "satisfying" (Key word there did you notice? Well of course you did. It's in bold for crying out loud!) thunk or thwack or ting when you hit em but also it has got to be durable, very durable.
My input was something I'd seen somewhere abouts that entailed taking a spoon and cutting off most of the handle so that you can create a loop with the rest and hang it through that. This one seems like it would work in the satisfaction dept by giving a nice little 'ting' sound when you hit it but also, if you hang it right, it would spin over a few times as well. Not to mention all the nice little dings it would acquire after a time from the shot (in my case a very, very long time) So...
Any other inovative, interesting or novel target ideas??? The focus being SATISFACTION (Hmmm, reminds me of that song "I can't get no'oo... satisfaction. I can't get no'oo... Satifaction but I try, and I try, and......." **** Jagger wasn't it? Yeah well now every time I miss I'm going to hear that bloody thing in my head. Thanks me ya great banana...
Anyway, I'd love to hear some more ideas

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
My indoor 'box does indeed have a spoon hanging on a piece of paracord. The spoon is light enough to spin without deflecting the ammo (unless I hit it too high) and gives off a nice PING when hit.
I'm too lazy to even cut off the handle, although it would probably spin better if I did. Maybe next time, this spoon's about had it.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh yes M_J and a very lot of satisfying dings it has in it too. Could you post a close up pls? I'd love to see what a target looks like once it's been hit a few times. never seen one befor

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Cut one out of 3mm aluminium plate!

You get the gratifying sound, lasts for ages and light enough for plenty of movement.

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,516 Posts
Currently I have only been shooting indoors. My target has been a half inch hex nut hanging from a string.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Ahh yes M_J and a very lot of satisfying dings it has in it too. Could you post a close up pls? I'd love to see what a target looks like once it's been hit a few times. never seen one befor
After I took that pic I flattened the spoon back out and cut the handle off. Guess I'll have to taco it up again and post a pic

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that happens to me when I post from my fone sometimes fatboy. Have to go back in and edit befor someone thinks im a dill...
That there lil target is a bloody work of art I say. So you just respray it when you've chipped the paint off I guess huh? and the loyal ol black labrador to keep score I see
Thanks for ya post mate. good idea

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
I have shot aluminum plate and spoons. They both make lovely sounds and are light enough to bounce around. One of my problems with hard targets is that I get a lot more bounce-outs with them than with softer stuff. The other problem I had with hard targets is that I like to shoot lead ammo. The lead tends to deform on the hard targets. After shooting spoons for a week, my .44 lead ammo was cut, dinged, and flattened so much that I melted it all down and recast it.

There are other materials that one could use for targets. I would suggest innertubes and old shoe soles as good sources of softer target material that should stand up to a lot of abuse.

By the way ... the leather target idea is not original with me ... I stole it from someone on this forum.

Cheers ...... Charles

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I've started out at the request of a couple of friends with this rather large spot on the barn, and can almost hit it consitently, only then maybe I'll be able to graduate to hitting the almighty tin can. Shredding cans to quickly? Another lifetime.

sean

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Sean, your consistency on that target will be helped if you shoot from the inside ...

By the way, for those of you that want to shoot spoons .... I suggest you avoid those little souvenir spoons that some women seem so attracted to. I bought a bunch in a second hand store. When I got home I found they are cast zinc, and the handles do not bend ... they just break. So I could not bend the handles to hang them. anybody want to buy a nice set of souvenir spoons, with a couple of broken handles?

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Hmmm, I rhought spooning was when you went out with your girl friend. I stand corrected!
-- Tex

·
Philly
2,595 Posts
Outdoors I shoot an electrical box cover, 4" in dia with a 3" orange pastie on it. That is my 15/25 yard target. 11 yards is a 2 1/2" Tennis ball sliced like an orange. It absorbs the shot and falls straight down, I also use this with all my lead hunting ammo. Indoors a golf wiffle ball at 7 yards. I like styroform plates, 7" dia for 25/40 yard shooting. A coke can on the ground to chase around.
Philly
Philly

·
Registered
383 Posts
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Electric blue View attachment 15248 View attachment 15248 Automotive parking light Liquid Drinkware Automotive lighting Automotive tire We went back to shooting beer and soda cans because we shoot only tracers. We get less bounce with aluminum cans and one heck of a sound when you hit it. My method of changing is to put a coat hanger through the bottom and out the top and hook it over a chain. I can change a can in under 10 seconds. Aluminum cans are a free target and they do not break the tracers.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
All this talk about targets, and i'm having trouble finding ammo!
But seriously, I have a 50 gallon drum at home that i've put brown paper over and shot at that. If you draw a little target on it, it makes a great long-range target, plus, the shot goes in and doesn't come back out except on rare occasions. Maybe ya'll's slingshots are more powerful than mine, but it works pretty well for me. I like beer bottles too
but that's a mess.

·
Over 9001 Warning Points!
2,089 Posts
Here's what I shoot at- took the magnets out of the kids toys to hang caps n stuff, works well and feels nice when they flick off. Also the spoon turned spatula. Bathtub catch box works like a charm, but the old workshirts smell like sweat

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.