Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ! Here is one I brought back from the dead. This white oak fork fell in front of my front porch and was just asking to be resurrected. I picked it up and placed it where it could dry out for a bit and then took it down and checked out what it was going to need to make a shooter out of it. I discovered plenty of cracks and that gnarly hole in the center which actually had tunnels going down the handle and up both forks. Despite all this, the fork was solid. I had some fiberglass resin that I was needing to use up and figured this was just the fork for it. I built a mold from corrugated plastic, stuck in the fork, and poured the resin over it. I then placed it in the pressure pot for a few hours to get the bubbles out. Next step was to remove the excess resin, then sanded the shooter up to 320 grit. I had an automotive clear coat applied. Finally, I added a lanyard holder to the bottom of the handle made from leather. This is secured with a screw threaded into an insert screwed into the wood. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice, it' s really the unexpected rebirth for that fork. A question in terms of the pressure pot: is it pressurized or vacuumized to bring the bubbles out?
Thanks! It was pressurized. :)
That's quite a transformation Drew. Turned out really nice
Thanks Joe!
Looks great
Thanks!
Nice Drew! You don't let anything go to waste, I probably would have just tossed that one, I'm glad you didn't ! :thumbsup:
Thanks man! I try to give most forks a chance these days. Lol
The most stunning thing to me is that you were able to dig the fork out of that block of resin!
That rascal should be sturdy now!
Thanks! Yeah that was a pain. Haha!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts